Originally named the Ponderosa Trailer Park and then Sportsman’s Supply Campground, our campground was established in the 1960’s to accommodate the growing number of hunters and fishermen that were exploring the area. The large elk herd, healthy rivers, vast national forest land & spectacular beauty of the San Juan mountains attracted adventurous people from all over. Not much has changed since then.
One of the most popular Pagosa Springs campgrounds, our campground was carved from the original Toner/Taylor family homestead by direct descendants of the Toner/Taylor family who still own and operate several of the working ranches in our area. Cattle are still moved and fences still maintained by workers on horseback just as they have for over 100 years. Development in our area has largely been limited because of the large percentage of national forest land and the proximity to the Weminuche Wilderness, the largest wilderness area in Colorado.
I have owned & operated the campground since 2001 and am now joined by my wife Corinne, son Jaden, daughter Adley and a great group of employee’s. Over the years we have upgraded the campground to include the modern amenities that todays campers come to expect while still maintaining a rustic & rural charm. Our general store was originally one of the first Texaco gas stations in Pagosa Springs. It was dismantled and then re-assembled at its present location at the campground in 1961. We’ve recently remodeled the porch and the inside of the store to meet modern needs yet maintain its rustic appeal. We added a modern playground for the kids in 2006. Our lodge, built in the early 1990’s was remodeled in 2008, the Chisum cabin was remodeled in 2007, the Ponderosa was remodeled in 2019 and the Rio Grande has been slowly remodeled over the past few years. We continue to upgrade the cabins a little bit each year.
As we look towards the future we will continue upgrading our facilities while maintaining our friendly and unique atmosphere. We hope you get a chance to experience our campground and this truly wonderful area.
We are lucky enough to be located in one of the most pristine areas in the country at the head of a truly remarkable yet fragile watershed and we strive to be as environmentally conscious as possible. Here is some of what we do to lessen our environmental impact:
- The most advanced water conserving toilets, faucets, washing machines and urinals available.
- Non-toxic cleaners and detergents are used whenever possible.
- Much of the furniture in the cabins was handmade from aspen trees by a local furniture builder.
- All fluorescent or LED light bulbs.
- We spare irrigation water by planting only native grasses & plants/flowers that require less water. We do not use fertilizers.
- Many new picnic tables are made in the USA out of recycled plastic.
- Remodels are done with recycled or environmentally conscious materials.
- We recycle #1 & #2 plastic, corrugated cardboard, paper, aluminum, steel & electronics.
- Most of the souvenirs we sell are USA made. We try to sell as much Colorado made stuff as possible.
Please help us keep costs down and reduce our environmental footprint by turning your lights & heat off when you are away from your RV or cabin. AC is rarely needed but if you turn it on please turn it off when you are away from your RV. Please use as little water as possible by not letting your water run when washing dishes and not taking showers longer than 5 minutes. Washing vehicles with the drinking water is prohibited at all times. Recycling bins are provided, please recycle while you are here.